At the legal level, increased focus put on pan-European research infrastructures has led to the creation of a specific EU legal framework defining the principles for management and financing of such research infrastructures. This new type of the legal entity – ERIC (European Research Infrastructure Consortium) – enables diverse and flexible models for the management of pan-European research infrastructures, including the use of tax exemptions on the side of the entities operating these research infrastructures (e.g. value added tax and/or excise duty tax exemptions). Countries and/or international organisations may become Members of an ERIC, as in the case of international organisations established under the public international law. At least 3 participating countries shall be founding Members of an ERIC when asking the European Commission (Directorate General for Research and Innovation) to establish it.
The Czech Republic is currently a Member State of the following ERIC legal entities:
- BBMRI-ERIC (Bio-banking and Bio-molecular Resources Research Infrastructure),
- CERIC-ERIC (Central European Research Infrastructure Consortium),
- CESSDA ERIC (Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives),
- CLARIN ERIC (Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure),
- EATRIS-ERIC (European Infrastructure for Translational Medicine),
- ECRIN-ERIC (European Clinical Research Infrastructure Network),
- ESS ERIC (European Social Survey),
- European Spallation Source-ERIC,
- EU-OPENSCREEN ERIC (European Infrastructure of Open Screening Platforms for Chemical Biology),
- ICOS ERIC (Integrated Carbon Observation System),
- Instruct ERIC (European Integrated Structural Biology Infrastructure),
- SHARE-ERIC (Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe).
In the near future the Czech Republic will become a Member State of the ERIC legal entities governing the operations of the following European research infrastructures:
- ACTRIS (Aerosol, Clouds and Trace Gases Research Infrastructure);
- AnaEE (Infrastructure for Analysis and Experimentation on Ecosystems);
- CTA (Cherenkov Telescope Array);
- DANUBIUS-RI (International Centre for Advanced Studies on River-Sea Systems);
- DARIAH (Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities);
- ELI (Extreme Light Infrastructure);
- Euro-BioImaging (European Research Infrastructure for Imaging Technologies in Biological and Biomedical Sciences);
- INFRAFRONTIER (European Research Infrastructure for Phenotyping, Archiving and Distribution of Model Mammalian Genomes).